Thread: Weezer
View Single Post
Old 05-20-2005, 07:05 PM   #12
Stinger
Retirement is stupid

Quote:
Originally Posted by samIamsad
You're not referring to my signature, are you? I haven't bought their second album, but their debut rocked when it was released.
Nothing gets by you.

I honestly wasn't--I just sort of see them, Thursday, and Thrice (and the 1000 clones of each) as the downfall of genuine songwriting. I was sort of scarred when I was looking for a band to join in Portland and Every. Single. Band wanted to know if I "could play like Thursday".

I love Ozma, by the way. Especially their first CD. "Shooting Stars", "Baseball", "If I Only Had a Heart"--all brilliant. And all owing their lives to Pinkerton, but that's beside the point.

As I said, I like Green and Maladroit a lot. But I think Rivers was so scared of his own songwriting during that period of his life that he intentionally wrote with 25% effort just so that if the fans hated his work he would know he had held back. To me, there's ten times more sincerity behind Make Believe. Not saying Rivers is my brother or anything but I have read every single story/article/interview ever written about him.

"An episodic sociopathic lagomorph? The mind boggles."