Thread: Weezer
View Single Post
Old 05-09-2005, 09:54 AM   #1
samIamsad
capsized.

Default Weezer

Say it ain't so... But somehow, one could see it coming. The green album was a so-so rehash of the wonderful blue one, and Maladroit just plain awful.

http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/record...-believe.shtml

The one half-decent song on the record, "This Is Such a Pity", fails to even maintain its status as a pleasant Cars homage, interjecting a guitar solo that sounds like it was cut from the original score to Top Gun.

So does Make Believe completely ruin not just present-day Weezer, but retroactively, any enjoyment to be had from their earlier work? I don't know-- I'm too scared to re-listen to those first two albums-- but it certainly appears that Make Believe will expertly extract the last remaining good graces the critical community has to offer latter-day Weezer, unless my colleagues' memories of slow-dancing with Ashley to "Say It Ain't So" are more powerful than I can possibly imagine. Of course, if Ashley went on to break your heart, fellow critic, Make Believe might be just the medicine you need; put it on repeat and watch your emotional scar be obliterated as collateral damage in the torpedoing of Weezer's legacy.

Say goodbye good? We'll see. Erm.. hear.