Thread: AGS vs SLUDGE
View Single Post
Old 04-05-2005, 07:06 PM   #88
Larrin

It seems all you focused on was whether or not you could sell the game commercially, most people doing their own adventure games could care less, but it can be a worry for some. As you said, you don't have to worry about the sound with SLUDGE anymore.

As for my own thoughts on the engines: from what I've read in this thread, it appears that hardly anybody likes AGAST, and most seem to think the other engines are better (someone correct me if I'm wrong), and it doesn't appear to be any better than SLUDGE, but SLUDGE now has free selling of commercial games. Wintermute looks like a very good engine, which I hadn't looked in to much before. It seems to have a good combination of menus and scripting, while also having many built-in features, and stable, fast, and being constantly updated, with a good forum community, the only one I know of now supporting actual 3D characters (at least among the major adventure engines), though it doesn't have free commercial selling of games. Next is SLUDGE, no menus, requires a lot of learning by yourself (I found the tutorial included to be very un-descriptive), but the engine is much faster than AGS (good for high-res), it doesn't have 24-bit or 32-bit color (I don't really care about having that many colors), and doesn't have anti-aliasing (important for me), some people might like the simple look to it, and doesn't have a bunch of menus to get lost in trying to find the one thing you want, I think it fits my personality fairly well. My main gripe with AGS is how slow it is, but it is easy to use and has a large community, many good features, and supports high-color and high-res (800x600 is fine for me, a good balance of quality and files-size), and antialiasing, among other things.

I don't know why I wrote all this, it's probably just writing down my own thoughts rather than trying to sway others to different engines or to share my opinion.

Last edited by Larrin; 04-05-2005 at 07:13 PM.