View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 10:35 AM   #18
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLacey
You've confused me here. I would always approach story-based game design from that very position - of telling a story. [...] I agree with you that the puzzles should be part of the story, and that they should be in small segments, but puzzle design should arise from the game and not the other way round. You then appear to contradict yourself by saying that puzzles "should tell the story" and then immediately following this with a suggestion in which cutscenes tell the story and the puzzles are minor points .
That's not what I meant. Allow me to be clearer: "You can have a very good story, but only tell it through cutscenes, and in between cutscenes the player is occupied by little side quests. That is bad."

"Puzzles evolve organically out of that, or at least they should if the game is any good" is kinda what I meant. My approach is still that there has to be a reason to tell the story as a game. I try to think about that consciously, and even put some kind of deeper idea into the solution of the puzzle so that the playing experience would be coherent. The reason is the puzzles - how they enhance the story.

Last edited by Wormsie; 03-29-2005 at 10:43 AM.