View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 10:07 AM   #17
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormsie
However, I still think the problem is that the creators start with the story. Then they add puzzles that addvance the story, but not in small enough segments, but big chunks. The puzzles should tell the story. That's what I meant about puzzles mattering. You can have a very good story, but only tell it through cutscenes, and in between cutscenes the player is occupied by little side quests (learning more about Centaur Races, for example).
You've confused me here. I would always approach story-based game design from that very position - of telling a story. Puzzles evolve organically out of that, or at least they should if the game is any good. I agree with you that the puzzles should be part of the story, and that they should be in small segments, but puzzle design should arise from the game and not the other way round. You then appear to contradict yourself by saying that puzzles "should tell the story" and then immediately following this with a suggestion in which cutscenes tell the story and the puzzles are minor points .

Ignoring this, though, I would never personally advocate basing a storyline around puzzles in preference to writing the story first. By all means modify the storyline to allow puzzles to come out of it, but the story is what one is here to tell.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.