Thread: AGS vs SLUDGE
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 06:39 AM   #69
After a brisk nap
Elegantly copy+pasted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnemonic
Hmm, is there? I wonder where it came from. I think "some people" are looking for problems where there aren't any I don't like it, but there's very little I can do about it, I'm afraid.
I'd say the impression that WME fans are anti-AGS comes from people like Wormsie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumgottist
And regarding AGS-fanatics, I admit that I get a bit annoyed when some AGS users pretend that there is no world outside AGS. It's not uncommon to see people talking about commercial games and AGS-games, rather than independent, amateur or underground. Sure, the correct terms are slightly more clunky and most of these games are made with AGS, but that attitude still rubs me the wrong way.
I think it's more about being genuinely unaware, more than "pretending". Some may never have heard of WME, SLUDGE, AGAST, CrystalSpace or games made with Flash, others are only dimly aware of these alternatives. It's easy to see why, just look at the nominations for the 2004 Underground Awards. One game made with WME (The Dead City), one with AGAST (Patrimonium), two with Flash (Brain Hotel and Peasant Quest) and one with AGI (Enclosure). All the rest are AGS games. AGS just has so much more visibility, it's easy to mistake the engine for the scene.