Thread: AGS vs SLUDGE
View Single Post
Old 03-29-2005, 02:34 AM   #64
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by AGA
Who does that when they're trying to 'sell' their own engine?
Whenever I remember, I try to remind myself and others that AGS is good for a variety of reasons, and the best alternative for a lot of projects. Icluding anything low-res and projects where you want to emulate Sierra/LucasArts - that side of the code is already scripted, and you only need to download a few files to get it working. For many beginner-types, I recommend AGS, too. Instead of selling my engine, I try to help the person, see where he's coming from and what he might consider necessary when it comes to engine features. I assumed everybody else wanted to do the same, but you just want to spread the plague that is AGS!

Quote:
As for the other points, I'd like some proof...
"Try to do this with Agast!" - 2ma2, when talking about a platform game he made with AGS. The AGS Ezine had a whole article dedicated to just praising AGS, in fact, "proving" that it is the best. There was an old post somewhere in the boards where I criticised tat one, but it was along the lines: "Sludge is pretty good but it costs, Agast has folders as rooms so it sucks. AGS is the best!" The reason for AGS being the best was that "you can do anything with it". However, you can do anything with Agast and WME (and Sludge, too, I'd wager). Most people do not have any idea of engines other than AGS. Whenever there is talk about other engines, I try to tell what I know of them. I know of Agast and WME, mainly. I have also tried both AGS and Sludge. I try to tell people that those engines are perfectly usable, too, no matter what the discussion forum is - Adventure Developers, AGS forums, etc.

Conversely, AGS users educate me about AGS stuff. (Chris Joes does help people with the engine.)

And a lot of my anti-AGS attitude is about being a troll. A sincere troll, but still a troll. See the after "AGS users find a way of defending their engine"? It means I'm joking.

A rant will ensue. Hopefully a humorous, self-ironical one.

Last edited by Wormsie; 03-29-2005 at 02:53 AM.