View Single Post
Old 03-27-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
Wormsie
Doctor Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snarky
It's been a while since I played Cirque, but the way I remember it, the pimp did play into the story of the game. You get some sort of leaflet advertising the career in prostitution, which you need in order to convince the acrobat to quit her job in the circus you're trying to sabotage. Then later you recruit one of the hookers to be your new acrobat. This is even brought up in the end sequence, where you're trying to hit on her and getting rebuffed.
I admit my argument has crumbled. But if you read the paragraph, doesn't it sound a bit obscure? A bit like a bad story? I still think that the pimp is a very insignificant character, comparable to the clown in Grim Fandango. Perhaps one part of the problem is that there's too many of those weird puzzles and characters whose connection to the story is weak at best. I now realise that of course anything you do in the game is a part of the story, but maybe the story in Cirque de Zale just isn't worth anything.

Quote:
Anyway, Ian Schlaepfer acknowledged this concern in the interview for the 20004 TCN Awards:
(I was the individual who pointed that out.)