View Single Post
Old 03-22-2005, 03:13 AM   #38
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fop
Oh no, I was just reminding that freedom of speech goes both ways, precisely encouraging debate instead of what you read from it.

Although I do think you have the goals of debate a bit wrong. It would hardly be possible without telling "why they are wrong", although you have to be diplomatic about. Convincing people is rarely possible, debate usually helps more with establishing your own views. Note the "why", but I can't fathom how debate would be possible without disagreement.
My point is in debate you aren't telling by people why they are wrong but why you think they are wrong. This is why they are called opinions instead of facts. We've put forward logical arguments supported by some anecdotal evidence but without doing a proper survey of casual gamers (and not just people we know who happen to be casual gamers) we can't say for sure. There may well be a group out there that would feel offended and belittled by Emily's words. Instinctively we feel there won't be. Our own little investigations show no sign of them. But that's not the same as saying they're not there.

I'm not suggesting anyone really tries to do a survey like this. if nothing else, there are far more important subjects (even just in the field of discrimination) that such energy could be devoted to. Just don't tell people they are wrong unless you're dealing with indisputable fact.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree