View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #32
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Interesting that this debate is still going on. Musenik, by all means, speak your mind freely. No one has remotely suggested you shouldn't.

What isn't clear is that you ARE actually speaking up for anybody, because you've yet to identify anyone who'd be offended. You've failed to address that question on several occasions. Until you do, this is an interesting theoretical exercise, but that's all. What's funny to me is that I'm usually one of the most outspoken opponents of adventure gamers spouting elitist crap towards other genres. This is simply NOT such a case.

You've refused to acknowledge that Emily's comments are, in fact, a tongue-in-cheek way of overcoming the very prejudice you're concerned about. The "context" that you're missing is that those two insensitive, offensive, bullying (ahem) lines come in an entire article devoted to exploring a game that was created "specifically for the downloadable market." Meaning, not for experienced adventure gamers; the readers of this site. Further meaning, simply by virtue of writing the article about a game the developer made for a "different group", Emily has already shown more respect for the casual gamer than... well, from what I can gather... pretty much anyone else. How much easier to simply ignore the whole thing altogether?

By choosing to remove a few words from their original written context, magnifying and analyzing them on their own, you've completely distorted their purpose. Could someone still misconstrue them in context? I suppose. Could the article have picked a safer, more sanitized joke? Sure. But as has already been said, we're not going to cater to the most hyper-sensitive people that might potentially be out there. We obviously differ on where to draw the line, as to me this IS about being politically correct, and not about showing basic respect.

I'll just close with this. If there's a segregating statement in the entire article, it's the excerpt taken from this statement on the game's website:

Quote:
In our user testing of casual gamers, the majority of them were unable to perform basic activities found in traditional adventures. That's why we re-invented the genre specifically for this market.
The distinctions were there already. Not created by us. If I were a casual gamer (and acknowledged myself as such), I'd be far more offended by THAT generalization than by an obviously humourous remark on a site specifically geared to adventure gamers.