View Single Post
Old 03-21-2005, 03:46 AM   #29
stepurhan
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musenik
To paraphrase an earlier post: "Just because a person isn't a bully, doesn't mean that another won't feel bullied by them." If you've ever taken a course in workplace harassment, then you'll know what I'm talking about.
I've not taken a course in workplace harrassment but I think I know what you mean. It's perfectly possible for someone to act in a way that upsets others, even if that isn't their intention. Following on from that I can see what you're saying about intent being separate (to some extent). However, soemtimes upset arises because of misunderstanding of intent. For example I can say to my wife "Get to the kitchen where you belong woman" (which would be offensive if I meant it) but she is aware I don't seriously think like that (Her normal response is a succint "Ha!")
Quote:
Absolutely not, which is why I don't want an apology, but I do reserve the right to comment on what people say and write. I believe this is the forum category for such comment.

Are you saying that no-one should be allowed to express their opinions about that which is written? If so, then I must stand firmly against you.
Fair enough. I didn't intend to say you had no right to comment but I can see that what I said sounds just like that. I apologise unreservedly for this. The right to raise objections is just as important a part of freedom of speech as the right to make statements that could be considered objectionable.
Quote:
As for the non-existence of the oppressed, of course the casual gamer exists. It certainly exists in the minds of some people here who call themselves non-casual or serious gamers. I believe an earlier poster claimed to be a 'better gamer'. He must be comparing himself to someone. So far, the only examples I've read here of people's opinions of 'casual gamers' have been negative.

I don't think that's very neighborly, and I exercised my right to comment on it.
I acknowledge that the prejudice exists. I can also see that, as a result of this, some gamers may look down on others (though the group being looked down on may not understand why) But I don't think the lines in the review reinforce this. Taking the two lines in question.
Quote:
Repeat after me: "Casual gamers are people too."

Okay, now that I got that out of my system…
This can be read as "A prejudice against casual gamers exists. I have been guilty of holding this prejudice. This is wrong. Casual gamers are people too and deserve equal rights" This would make the phrase uniting rather than dividing.
Quote:
And if you do, hey, this trend toward casual "almost adventure" games could be something we're all going to have to get used to.
This could be considered as belittling casual gaming. However, this sentence also expresses a legitimate concern of us "more serious" gamers. To a certain extent there is a limited amount of game publishing muscle to go around. If more of this is devoted to games that can be picked up and played for short periods of time then there will be less for the more in-depth games that require more commitment to play that many of us prefer. It's a concern that it is the "serious" gamer that's going to become the oppressed minority, not the casual gamer.
Quote:
How about we all meet in a bar, beat the crap out of each other, and share a few beers afterwards? My carpel-tunnel's acting up...
Sounds good to me. Averaging out our locations I guess we're looking at some sort of trans-atlantic cruise ship. Any preferences?
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree