Thread: Nice green.
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2005, 03:16 AM   #30
Jazhara7
Ale! And keep 'em coming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in milk
You guys seeing dark grey must be on crummy (and really darkly calibrated) pc monitors, IE: the average PC monitor.
I am using a flatscreen monitor, and it is calibrated to a high illumination (what is the correct term?). It is set on 80 %. To test if it had anything to do with the calibration, I changed it to 100 % illumination, and it is STILL darkish grey. Maybe a bit slate-grey (which is blueish grey), but not very much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy in Milk
I'd call it Khack green (or shit green), meaning dusty or brown green (persian) and combined with the shades of brown elsewhere on the page and the little himalayas images its getting very 'young Indiana Jones in the foreign legion' (RIP River Phoenix )

It's persian, yes - but origianlly it came from the Urdu language, which comes from India.

It means dust covered or earth coloured. It doesn't actually have green in it - just the military version, which is quite different has green in it.

Apparently it was originally a name of a type of cloth.

The Colour Khaki (with sample)

Also, I recommend this article at "World Wide Words". The other articles are also very interesting - The subheader of the site is "Michael Quinion writes about international English from a British viewpoint"
His writing style makes the topics really interesting, and makes you want to read more.

-

>>>Inventor of the Mail order-Assassin<<<

And *This*...is a Black Hole - BYE!

Last edited by Jazhara7; 03-16-2005 at 04:00 AM.