View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
Jake
The Dartmaster

Send a message via ICQ to Jake Send a message via MSN to Jake Send a message via Yahoo to Jake

I think if you're designing an adventure game specifically for the DS, you'd want to design the world with poking and prodding obvious objects in mind more than hot spot sweeping. I mean... that probably isn't more difficult than designing a game in which all hot spots have to be identifiable by a character turning their head or some other restraint. Porting existing games that are ridiculous dependend on hotspot sweeping (eg old LucasArts games) is another story I guess, and I could see it being really frustrating.

If your response to that is "but what is an adventure game without hotspot sweeping!" you probably just shouldn't be considering DS development, IMHO.

I also liked Steve's suggestion of using the stylus for a Metroid Prime-style "mouselook" functionality for first person DS adventures. That's kind of appealing.

"I was one of the original lovers." - Evan Dickens