View Single Post
Old 03-13-2005, 12:02 PM   #11
remixor
A search for a crazy man!

Send a message via ICQ to remixor Send a message via AIM to remixor Send a message via MSN to remixor

No matter what, there's eventually going to have to be something on the screen, whether it's a beam or some text or your inventory or whatever. That's a given, at least until someone makes a game with a natural language parser and voice input. The focus field allows you to look at items which are right next to you or on the other side of the screen (and whether you are near or far will actually change the character's response, I forgot to mention)and the Funcom guys felt it was superior option to point and click. And as far as Grim Fandango goes, remember that actually quite a few people had problems with its control scheme. If the PC interface for Dreamfall is in fact "mouse-only" as Ragnar claims then I suspect it will end up acting somewhat like a point and click anyway from the user's perspective (this is only speculation though). The focus field allows for a system that works whether the player has decided to use a mouse or a controller. Maybe Funcom has ****ed up badly but I haven't been this confident about a modern adventure game in years and I'd be surprised if we ended up with a shitty control scheme.

Anyway, glad most of you liked the preview. I really am excited about this game, and Ragnar's enthusiasm is practically tangible. I sort of feel like it's been a while since we've had an adventure designer who really seems like he has the ability and the ambition to do something noteworthy in the genre.

Some sort of Writer or Editor or Something, Idle Thumbs

"Some comparisons are a little less obvious. I always think of Grim Fandango as Casablanca on acid." - Will Wright