View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 10:33 AM   #37
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28
I don't doubt that reviewing is subjective, but you guys should have a basis on which grades are given.
We do.

Quote:
And the most important aspect is that you should take other games into consideration. I mean maybe the person who played Runaway really enjoyed the game, which is fine, but then they should take the game and compare it to a game like Grim and say:"Are these 2 games really the same quality"?
In a perfect world where the reviews were written by drones. You're not only suggesting that we compare games here, but also two *different* reviewers' opinions of the games. A review is that person's take on that game. It's not the reviewer's responsibility to factor in how other people view other, completely unrelated games. Say I hated Grim Fandango. Is it still my duty, every time I write a review for new game XYZ, to think about my score and go "Wait a minute... how does this game compare to how much OTHER people like Grim Fandango?" It doesn't make sense.

Quote:
For any outsider, seeing Grim and Runaway get 4.5 stars implies they are of the same quality, which does not reflect fairly on the 2 games mentioned.
Obviously, in the eyes of the reviewers who wrote those reviews, they are of the same quality. Do you not trust the reviewers? Do you doubt that they put a lot of thought and hard work into these opinions? Or are we lying through our teeth just to stir things up?

-emily

Last edited by fov; 03-03-2005 at 10:46 AM.