Thread: Gumshoe Online
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 12:07 PM   #25
RLacey
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
Except that, by its very nature, a *good* story is one that makes you want to keep reading (or playing). In a good novel, the last page of the chapter leaves you hanging so you want to start the next chapter and find out what happens next. I think what you say about self-contained chunks makes sense in theory, but in practice, any game that's unintersting enough at the end of the chapter that you don't want/need to keep playing doesn't sound like it's building to a climax very effectively.

-emily
Aha, I misinterpreted you. I actually meant that the game should have a large, good, overarching story (simple to suggest!), but that doesn't prevent it from being divided into chapters. I wasn't actually suggesting that they should necessarily be self-contained, though there would be ways of doing that. After all, it's possible to design chapters that are self-containted but all relate to the same story, that when completed together form a bigger picture. Like a set of cases that also contain clues to a much larger case, or playing a scenario from the point of view of multiple characters. Yes, the story would be different to that of many traditional adventures, but it could still be a good story ...

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.