Thread: Gumshoe Online
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 10:10 AM   #18
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillyruless
The casual gaming market is actually commercially robust. Even tough you can play the games for free online, you only get to experience only a small portion of the game so many people actually pay to get the full game.
Ah, OK. So that's one question at least partially answered. There IS money being spent on the existing casual games.

Quote:
Isn't attracting the casual gamers to story-driven adventure lite was what Jane Jensen intended with Be Trapped? Granted that Be Trapped isn't an adventure lite yet but it was intended as a stepping stone to link the casual gaming market to adventure lites.
Yep, I'd say that's exactly what she had in mind.

Quote:
I can easily see the success in the casual gaming market translating into adventure lite and then to episodic adventure games like Gumshoe. The biggest selling point of the casual games so far has been that they make a wonderful time killers. They are designed so that you can pick it up and play whenever you have spare time, 10, 30 minutes, an hour, or whatever, at a time. This may also be another selling point for games like Gumshoe to the casual gaming market.
See, this is where I'm not convinced. The notion is that it's a transition from one thing (casual puzzle games) into something similar (adventure lite). But to me that's a big leap. I'm not sure that isn't changing something from one thing into something else. You know... like changing adventures into action-adventures.

Seriously, there seems to me to be a gap there that can only be bridged by wishful thinking. An adventure game really CAN'T be played in 10-30 minute blocks (by virtue of having an ongoing narrative), which changes the very nature of a casual game.