Thread: Gumshoe Online
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 09:38 AM   #16
Jackal
Hopeful skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fov
I can't say I agree with that - if the graphics of the new retail product are only so so, the gameplay is annoying, and the story is lukewarm, then an "old thrift store pickup" with good gameplay and a great story comes out ahead.
This isn't really disagreeing with what I said, though. I think everyone would agree with your statement above, and the more costly the new release, the higher the standard. I'm wasn't trying to compare old and good with new and crap.

Quote:
Which brings me back to the casual gaming issue. If the target is casual gamers, not adventure gamers, can anyone tell me anything about the buying habits of casual games? Are there non story based casual games that cost money? My perception is that they're free, which is why this idea that the casual gaming market is ripe for (fee-based) adventure type games doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I really don't know much about what's out there.
I think this is the $64,000 question. I agree with you that the notion of the casual gamer, currently playing free repetition/addiction games online, suddenly jumping into paying for story-driven adventure lite is a leap.

Although, as I said in the article, I'm not actually sure this is who Gumshoe best targets. It may be more adventure fans that don't always have the time or inclination to dig into a full-fledged game, but wouldn't mind playing a standalone game in maybe 3-5 hours of playtime.