Thread: Gumshoe Online
View Single Post
Old 02-11-2005, 09:21 AM   #15
fov
Rattenmonster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackal
Yeah, you really can't compare new retail products to old thrift pickups, so this is the better comparison. Whether something is worth $5 will be completely dependent on an individual, but I see it as pretty reasonable if the content delivers.
I can't say I agree with that - if the graphics of the new retail product are only so so, the gameplay is annoying, and the story is lukewarm, then an "old thrift store pickup" with good gameplay and a great story comes out ahead.

I understand that the business models can't be compared from a business perspective, but from the player's perspective, it doesn't matter if it's a new retail game, what matters is if it's worth the money. I suppose there are those who go around buying brand new games all the time, but there are a lot of adventure gamers who don't -- maybe because the industry has led us to get used to price cuts and bargain bins and because so many of the old games have withstood the test of time so they ARE worth picking up at a thrift shop -- or if not a lot of adventure gamers, at least some. I can't be the only cheapskate among us.

Which brings me back to the casual gaming issue. If the target is casual gamers, not adventure gamers, can anyone tell me anything about the buying habits of casual games? Are there non story based casual games that cost money? My perception is that they're free, which is why this idea that the casual gaming market is ripe for (fee-based) adventure type games doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but I really don't know much about what's out there.

-emily