Thread: Gumshoe Online
View Single Post
Old 02-10-2005, 09:14 PM   #12
fov
Rattenmonster

See, that's the thing. I regularly pay $5 for full games that I buy used at the thrift shop. Why would I pay the same amount for just one episode, and not even end up with a physical product in the end?

That may just be me being cheap, but still. I have about 100 games on my shelf and most of them I paid $5 or less for. I think I'd have to burn through those before I spent the next $5 on a Gumshoe episode.

I personally see the episode-with-continuity-and-eventual-conclusion as a different thing. If Jane Jensen announced tomorrow that she'd be doing GK4 in 10 chapters and each one cost $2 each (or even $5 each), hell yeah I'd buy each and every one. But that's because I know what the payoff will be. In this case, why spend the $5 for a few hours of ("casual") entertainment when I could just pluck one of the games off my shelf that I paid the same amount (or less) for?

(On the other hand, from a casual game standpoint, the price IS a lot more reasonable than the prices of some casual / adventure-esque games I've seen.)

-emily