View Single Post
Old 01-24-2005, 12:16 PM   #3
EasilyConfused
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake
As a little followup thought, I think that all the marketing of adult culture,or late teen culture, to kids and early teens is actually very related to why I liked what I liked when I was younger. It's a hook that fills in the same hole, I guess?

I mean, ... wow this is hard to explain. I think kids are looking for answers, certain types of fulfillment, and they get that from.. feh. nevermind. That's not what I mean at all. I promise you there is some sort of connection though

Maybe I will be able to figure out what I'm trying to say but I doubt it. If I do, I'll post it here. Until then, please read my first post
Jake, the question of audience is important. You seem to be saying that pre-teens want stuff that's really for them, not for a mixed audience (like Harry Potter and much of what passes for "children's" culture these days is--a mishmash of innocuous stuff plus veiled jokes for adults--think of Robin Williams in Aladdin). But were the LucasArts games really for kids EITHER? It seems to me that that humor was as much or MORE adult, and maybe that's what you're saying. That we shouldn't pander to kids?

Just trying to help/figure out . . .