View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
LauraMac
Bearly Here

Well to be honest the whole thing began as a mutually shared thought about how much fun certain developer types had romping and chatting at a related forum based developer chat.

I took it further and thought about the format and manner of how to have some sort of private yet ultimately publically accesible discussion. I felt some level of public involvement was essential, hence the public source for the topics. Yet I wanted a private arena where developers could feel free to speak candidly and amongst other experts in their field. Then Steve and I worked out the finer points from there.

As to where it goes, that really is determined by what comes up. I personally have no goal of this topic or that. The intent is to have gamer or market involvement on the what the topic end of things is. There are many groups and forums where developers discuss the art, science and design of games. What they are interested in is what Gamers want to know. What concerns do they have?

We will also favor questions or topics that are topical or seem likely to generate discussion past the ATD chat. The monthly ATD discussion is also intended to be a spring board for more discussion not the end of the matter.

The guests themselves will be selected based upon the topic and the particular expertise and background it seems to call for.

But, yes the first level of interest IS what you and I or the gamers out there want to know about. What issues and concerns are most important. What aspects of gaming really count the most? In the process of thinking about and discussing a gamer driven topic, the developers gain insight into perhaps where their scant resources should best be employed.

Even better there is the potential to learn a bit more about making games, that they creatively believe in -- and that gamers also want to play.