View Single Post
Old 01-22-2005, 06:55 PM   #7
EasilyConfused
Curiouser and curiouser

Laura and Steve (and Mattsius! and Jack!)--

I just read the article and it was really fascinating. I have a question, though, and I'm going to have a hard time articulating it, so bear with me.

I was interested in the way in which the developers' discussion mirrored a lot of the debates that have been going on in the forum. Do you think that this is because: 1) gamers and developers are thinking about similar issues or 2) you are asking developers about issues of interest to gamers?

Looking down the road to what you want to do with the feature, is the best approach for developers to discuss GAMERS' questions, or their own interests? Or do you think there's a difference at all? In other words, if we are having arguments here over the best gameplay methods, does that mean that's exactly what designers are thinking about? Or could it be that they are thinking about issues that would never even occur to us to ask about?

Of course, there's nothing that would keep these issues from coming up in the "conversation," and I'm sure that as moderators you two will be alert to topics that I, for example, would never think to ask. Just a question about what perspective you think we'll get and should hope for from the feature--and maybe a very premature question, at that!