View Single Post
Old 01-15-2005, 01:12 PM   #1
EasilyConfused
Curiouser and curiouser

Default Dreamfall--From Sketch to Model

Here I was on the Dreamfall thread JUST complaining that I didn't like the way that Zoe looked, when within hours Marek provides us with a gorgeous article about how the game designers came up with her appearance. Now that is what I call attention to the needs and desires of gamers. Thanks Marek, great piece, and congrats for getting an AG exclusive--what a coup these images are.

I'm not sure whether to post these comments here or in that forum, but I have to say that after reading this piece, I dislike her appearance even more! It's not her look per se that's irritating me--some of the initial sketches are extremely intriguing, I love the final concept art, and even the 3D model seems to suggest a unique character. What really bothers me is the image they're using for the promotional materials. This may be just me on my usual feminist/PC rant, but to me in that purple tank she looks much more "prettified," less "ethnic," and more doe-eyed and generic than in the other images. And then, of course, there's the purple tank. She goes from mostly modest jeans, shearling jacket and turtleneck to a barely-there, figure-hugging tank and body-conscious jewelry for the promos, and that's an accident? (Trep, what say you about visuals and marketing now? Could this at all be an attempt to attract male gamers to the sequel of a game that was too-often described as a female-friendly AG?).

Regardless, I think the pictures are fascinating to study, and useful as an insight into the game-design process. Thanks again Marek for a really terrific, timely article.

Last edited by EasilyConfused; 01-15-2005 at 02:34 PM.