View Single Post
Old 01-12-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
EasilyConfused
Curiouser and curiouser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraMac
I think it is the best piece she's written and personally one of the best on the site. Well done girlfriend.
The thing that's great about Emily's piece (aside from the prose!) is that she really gives you a vivid impression of what playing the game will be like. I know that she's right ( ) because I played the demo and she did an excellent job of describing what's hard to describe, now that I think about it--how these disparate elements on the screen and on audio interact to be an unconventional but really fun gaming experience. As I told Kirk, I thought he did the same thing in giving people a really CLEAR impression of what it's like to play ROTS, so you can decide for yourself whether you want to do it. It's not solely written in gamer's code ("1st person perspective, node based, Myst-clone") that someone coming to games for the first time won't understand. (It initially took me weeks of reading reviews--and yes I am this compulsive--to try to figure out what the heck people were describing in general when they said things like FMV and so on, so that I could figure out the terminology and know whether I was likely to enjoy the game.) Sorry to go off on this, but I think that the reviews are great this way, and this site does them the best. And Emily's rocks!

BTW, Emily, what did G have to say about your crush on FB?